- Press fit end caps Removable by hand for quick conversions and service. +/- 0.0XX MM press fit tolerances.
- BEARINGS High end catridge bearings throughout. Low friction thanks to single sided seals. 2080 N load capacity per bearing.
- THREAD RING Takes up the inner ratchet, transfers torque to the hubshell. 450 Nm torque tested.
- Lightweight alloy axles Optimized for the dynamic loads a hub undergoes. Tested to 13 standard lifecylces of a wheel.
- Ratchet springs Push the ratchets against each other to engage Tested to 13 standard lifecylces of a wheel.
- Ratchets The best system to transfer torque at the lowest weight.
18 T / 20° engagement | 36 T / 10° engagement | 54 T / 6.6° engagement | options available
- Alloy rotor bodies Lightweight and anodized. Super smooth surface finish of the contact area for the high precision, low friction rotary seal. +/- 0.0XX MM seal seat precision
The patented freewheel system, which features high-precision star ratchets, guarantees top performance and reliability. The no-tool concept allows extremely simple and quick maintenance.
The engagement angle is the degree to which a hub spins freely before transfering the riders power to the wheel. The smaller the angle, the faster the leg power reaches the ground, so a smaller engagement angle is generally better. It is important to know though, that there are limits on the minimally possible angle, as the reliability of the freewheel system partially depends on the angle too. What makes the Ratchet System hubs truly unique, is the fact that all teeth of the two ratchets engage simultaneously every time. Pawl hubs in comparison engage only a couple pawls simultaneously. Furthermore, in the case of pawl hubs, the contact surface is rather small, whereas in the case of the Ratchet System, the whole front face engages, creating much smaller point loads. The result is the legendary reliability of the Ratchet System hubs and distinctive sound as the star ratchets rotate against each other!
SPRING 25 % PRELOADED
The rider pedals, the star ratchets engage and transfer the power to the threadring, and thus to the hub / wheel, using its the whole front face. The two conical springs are only slightly preloaded.
SPRING 50 % PRELOADED
The rider does not pedal, the Star Ratchets' teeth rotate against each other, the tension of the conical springs increases.
SPRING 100 % PRELOADED
The rider does not pedal, the Star Ratchets' teeth are tip to tip, the conical springs are preloaded to the maximum. The sequence begins anew and repeats thousands of times every kilometer!